Thursday, August 26, 2010

Like Sands Through The Hourglass!

As many of you know with my job I travel to different places testing their water. Well today was no different. One of the places I go to is a daycare. I rarely see the children though. Today, however, I had to go through the playground. That playground had all sorts of toys. Swings, slides, balls, high top cars, (By the way I got stuck in one of those when I was about 14) and a sandbox. Anyway as I was walking through the playground I heard a little girl about three years old yelling at me “Hey, tug! Tug!” Tug!” I said “Hello there”. She just kept yelling “Tug!” I got closer to the sandbox, thats when I noticed “it”. A walker. A tiny little walker. The little girl, playing in the sand started bouncing up and down up and down waving at me and yelling “Tug, tug, tug!” It was then I saw that the tiny little walker belonged to her. She had only one leg. The other leg ended at the upper part of her thigh. My heart was instantly broken for her. Well I finished with the water and was coming back through the playground gate, when she started yelling again. “Tug me!” Thats when I realized she was saying “Hug me” I looked at her teacher and she said “Thats fine you can hug her”. The little girl rolled out of that sandbox and hopped on one leg all the way over to where I was, which was about 15-20 feet away. And she was very fast I might add! But she didn’t come alone, she was followed by a three year old cowgirl, and a three year old freckle faced boy. All of whom required a hug.
They all hugged me but the little girl held on. She threw her little arms around my neck and wrapped her little leg around my waist. Then she got down and hopped back over to the sandbox and started playing with the other kids. And I realized just how blessed I am. This little girl was so happy and she was spreading her joy. I wonder how long its been since I have spread any joy. How long its been since I showed anyone how happy I was with what God had blessed me with? I realized in that one little hug I had felt Gods presence. I also realized something else. That little girl was covered in sand and so was I!!!
I got in the car and was leaving and as I brushed the sand off my neck I thought about how blessed I was. A little further down the road I brushed away more sand. This happened all day. And all day I was reminded of Gods love for me.
Its funny how God uses little things to teach us lessons. Who would have thought that a little girl, a hug, and a sandbox would have shown me how blessed I am. The bible teaches about being careful of how we treat strangers they might be angels.(Hebrews 13.2) And I thought this might be the case with me, except as I was leaving I turned around and saw her pick up a hand full of sand and throw it in the little freckled faced boys’ eyes. I don’t think an angel would do that! Its funny how God works!

1 comment: