Sunday, January 16, 2011

Who am I to Judge?

It seems like more and more people are dying young. I never lost a “close” relative until I was 21 years old. After that it seemed like it didn’t stop. I really have a hard time dealing with death.
My dads friend found his adult son dead last week. How horrible to find your child dead! I could not even (nor do I want to) imagine. I haven’t seen him since I was about 10 years old. So I was not directly affected by his passing, but being a parent, I am just sick for his parents. All I know for sure is that children are supposed to outlive their parents no matter what. But thats not the way life works.
His son lived a “fast” life. Drugs! They over took him. This man finally succumbed to his addictions. He had so many opportunities in life. Opportunities the average person wouldn’t have. And he blew it. I wish I could ask him why? Why when you KNOW the drugs will eventually kill you did you try them anyway. I just want to shake him. Why did you put your parents through the ringer? Why did you choose to give up everything? I know his death was inevitable. The rate he was going it wasn’t a matter of “if” it was a matter of “when”. With all the information there is about what drugs can do to your body why would you even give them a passing thought. All the young celebrities we have seen die because of addictions. He should have know better. In my mind I rant and rave at him. He has left grieving parents and a sibling. I just get so mad how dare he screw up the life God created for him! Then I start to think rationally.
Here I sit, overweight! Sedentary! Knowing that I am at risk for a stroke or heart attack. I have diabetes and I eat sweets ALL the time. I have a food addiction! Even after all the information I have been given. If I do not make some changes it will become a matter of “when” for me as well. How dare I screw up this life God has created for me! Who am I to judge this man? An addiction is an addiction. Whether its food, drugs, or whatever. I need to see this as a wake up call for myself. I need to take the opportunity God has given me to live! So I’m gonna try to learn a lesson from him and make the changes I need to make. I never have liked change, so I’m sure it will be baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Stephanie :) I always really enjoy your insight.

    ReplyDelete