Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Whats cooking?

Ok so my culinary skills leave much to be desired. I wouldn’t call myself a bad cook, but not a great one either. But I’m not afraid to experiment. Don and the kids have gotten used to this over the years. Michael never wants to be the first to try something new I make. Bryanna’s usually first cause she doesn’t want to hurt my feelings. Don, well he don’t count he’ll eat anything. (Just kidding Don)
I was reminded tonight of my cooking escapades over the years. Some good. Some, well, lets just say different. The other night I made broccoli and cheese soup, cheddar and garlic biscuits, and twice baked potatoes. I went by the recipe so it all turned out pretty good. But usually that is where I go wrong. I am not much of a planner, so I do not plan out my menus. This has caused many a meal in the Boyles house to go awry! I will start making a dish not realizing I don’t have all the ingredients. So I substitute.
One of Don’s favorite stories to tell is about the “green” velvet cake. I was out of red food coloring so I just put a little of all the colorings in. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I know better. Oh and I now, know that peach cobbler is not good without sugar, no matter how sweet the peaches are. I could go on and on.
Cooking is kind of like life. We don’t always get it right. I know I don’t anyway. But we are supposed to learn from our mistakes. Right? But do we ever really learn? I would hope I do. I know I don’t always respond to what I have learned. I seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. Mistakes as a wife, as a parent, as a child of God. I make mistakes and I try to learn from them and make changes. Some of the changes I make are not any better than what I was trying to change. Like the time I was making meatloaf and I didn’t have any oatmeal, crackers, or bread. So I used potato chips. That was definitely a change. It change my meatloaf into a big greasy mass. Yuck! Even Don wouldn’t eat it. Ketchup couldn’t even fix it. But luckily Gods not like that. He see’s the mistakes I make and he forgives me. He see the changes I make good and bad and he loves still. Luckily mercy and grace are better than ketchup. Thankfully when I make a mess of things He still loves me. He see’s me for me. Not for who others think I should be but for what He knows I am. You all see me as a green velvet cake. (Which I do NOT recommend baking) but he see’s me for what I really am. His!

1 comment:

  1. I love who you are. You're funny, enthusiastic and such a joy. And you remind me of myself in the kitchen!

    Linda Stanley

    ReplyDelete